The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they would no longer receive public funds related to their royal duties. They added that they intended to reimburse the approximately 2.8 million euros that were needed to renovate the Frogmore Cottage, the accommodation they had occupied until then.
“Following many many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.” The Queen’s statement read on Saturday.
For the first time, Queen Elizabeth II publicly acknowledged the “intense scrutiny” that the Sussexes had been under, which the couple have spoken about several times, and which some commentators have criticized for having racist undertones.
“I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life,” she said.
Meanwhile, Meghan is in Canada with her son Archie and Harry is expected to join her soon. The couple is now expected to begin a new life split between North America and Britain, they will also continue to maintain their “private patronages and associations.” The changes will take effect from this spring.